- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Redskins’ Kirk Cousins eager to fix mistakes if given another chance
Rookie’s two interceptions marred debut after RG3 injury
“I think the first one he could’ve dumped it over the middle. The second one … he really threw it when he was supposed to throw it; [the receiver] got jammed about 15 yards down the field,” Shanahan said. “You’ve got to anticipate that throw and there’s nothing you can about a throw like that. I was pleased with the throw, and obviously not the end result.”
Neither was Cousins, but teammates nevertheless voiced support for what he did in a difficult spot.
“I think Kirk came in and did a good job. He almost led us to a win,” left guard Kory Lichtensteiger said. “I think that’s all you can really ask of your second-string quarterback. He knows the plays, he directed the offense well, he had confidence. I have a lot of respect for him.”
“I’ve got a lot of confidence in both quarterbacks, Kirk and Rex,” the Redskins‘ coach said. “Kirk has been No. 2 for a reason — because we feel like he earned that right. We feel very good about him and where he’s at, but I also have a lot of confidence in Rex as well.”
“You’ve just got to go with your evaluation of your people. Like I said, I’ve got the utmost confidence in both guys. That’s a great feeling to have,” he said.
“I can’t say that I’ve felt that way about my second and third string quarterbacks very often. A lot of times, you’ll feel good about one, not two. I’ve got probably the best situation I’ve been in for a long time.”
When Cousins was in tough situations Sunday and his interceptions sent fans at FedEx Field to the exits, he was reminded of an important lesson.
“The roller coaster of emotions, that’s football, that’s playing quarterback. You can never get too high and never get too low,” Cousins said. “I need to just stay centered. That’s the approach I’ve always taken and I’ll continue to do that.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.