- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
Warm rice pudding a comfort in the chill of fall
Question of the Day
There is something particularly autumnal about puddings. Surely, it has something to do with cravings for all things rich and creamy as the weather cools.
So we created this deliciously rich and creamy rice pudding just for fall, a time when it can easily show off the finest fruit of the season — apples. Of course, the spices that work so well with apples also are delicious with another of fall’s finest, pears.
Most rice puddings are made by slowly simmering starchy white rice in milk, sometimes on the stovetop, sometimes in the oven. But we decided to use a technique more common to risotto. The milk is added more slowly to the rice and cooked into it before more is added. Frequent stirring during this process also helps draw out more of the rice’s starch, creating a thicker, creamier pudding.
CARAMELIZED APPLE GINGER RICE PUDDING
Start to finish: 1 hour
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup arborio rice
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup sugar
½ cup diced candied ginger
4 cups milk, divided
In a medium saucepan over medium-high, melt the butter. Add the apples and cinnamon and saute until browned and caramelized, about 7 minutes.
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world