- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- Israeli fire hits U.N. facility in Gaza, killing 15
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
- Grijalva: Anti-trafficking law ‘line in the sand for many of us’
Warm rice pudding a comfort in the chill of fall
Question of the Day
There is something particularly autumnal about puddings. Surely, it has something to do with cravings for all things rich and creamy as the weather cools.
So we created this deliciously rich and creamy rice pudding just for fall, a time when it can easily show off the finest fruit of the season — apples. Of course, the spices that work so well with apples also are delicious with another of fall’s finest, pears.
Most rice puddings are made by slowly simmering starchy white rice in milk, sometimes on the stovetop, sometimes in the oven. But we decided to use a technique more common to risotto. The milk is added more slowly to the rice and cooked into it before more is added. Frequent stirring during this process also helps draw out more of the rice’s starch, creating a thicker, creamier pudding.
CARAMELIZED APPLE GINGER RICE PUDDING
Start to finish: 1 hour
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup arborio rice
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup sugar
½ cup diced candied ginger
4 cups milk, divided
In a medium saucepan over medium-high, melt the butter. Add the apples and cinnamon and saute until browned and caramelized, about 7 minutes.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq