- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
Venus Williams, Washington Kastles win 2nd straight WTT title
And also a lot of fun for the competitors. Williams entered the past two nights with her dog, Harold, dressed in a dog-sized Washington warm-up shirt. Williams was off the bench cheering her teammates when she wasn’t on the court.
It took the Kastles some time to adjust, though. The tennis league typically wraps up in midsummer after a three-week long season. This time, organizers pushed it to September because of the Olympic tennis competition and the string of established tournaments leading up to the U.S. Open.
Paes said the team was out of synch on Saturday night as it rallied to defeat the New York Sportimes and John McEnroe for the Eastern Conference finals. He never doubted his club would end on top. “We find solutions. We always have in my four seasons here,” said Paes, the world’s fifth ranked doubles player who completed the career Grand Slam with a doubles title at the Australian Open last winter.
Williams as a big part of Washington’s solution this time around. She smiled wide as she posed with teammates on Billie Jean King Court, the venue re-christening its main court for the tennis icon last April. Williams was grateful for the victory and excited about what’s she’s accomplished, both on and off the tennis court.
“This whole year’s been a fight,” Williams said. “But for me, the year’s been incredibly successful because of what I’ve been up against.”
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014