You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

American Scene: Only Zimmerman’s DNA on handgun, tests show

- - Wednesday, September 19, 2012

ORLANDO — Forensic tests made public Wednesday show that the DNA of George Zimmerman was the only DNA that could be identified on the grip of the gun used to kill 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

The results rule out Trayvon's DNA from being on the gun's grip. Mr. Zimmerman's DNA also was identified on the gun's holster, but no determination could be made as to whether the teenager's DNA was on the holster, according to the report from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Mr. Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Trayvon during a confrontation in a gated community in Sanford in February.

Mr. Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty, claiming self-defense.

RHODE ISLAND

Mayor of struggling city to admit corruption

PROVIDENCE — The longtime mayor of struggling Central Falls resigned and has agreed to plead guilty to a federal corruption charge of accepting gifts in exchange for handing out a lucrative contract to board up city houses, according to papers filed Wednesday by federal prosecutors.

Charles Moreau and his friend, businessman Michael Bouthillette, were charged. Mr. Bouthillette was charged with one count of giving gifts, according to the documents.

Mr. Moreau and Mr. Bouthillette acknowledge in a plea agreement that Mr. Bouthillette paid at least in part for a furnace installed at Mr. Moreau's former Central Falls home and for renovations at a home Mr. Moreau owned in Lincoln.

In exchange, Mr. Moreau used his emergency powers to order homes that were foreclosed boarded up by Mr. Bouthillette's business.

CALIFORNIA

11 hurt in prison riot, including 1 shot by officers

FOLSOM — A riot at a California state prison on Wednesday left 11 inmates hospitalized, including one who was shot by officers, officials said.

The disturbance at the California State Prison, Sacramento in Folsom involved an unknown number of inmates, officials said. It broke out in a yard at the maximum-security facility shortly after 11 a.m.

In addition to the inmate who was shot, at least 10 were either stabbed or slashed during the incident.

No other injuries have been reported.

IOWA

Judge: Texas company owes disabled workers $1.4 million

IOWA CITY — A Texas company that profited for decades by supplying mentally disabled workers to an Iowa turkey plant at wages of 41 cents per hour must pay the men $1.37 million in back wages, a federal judge ruled late Tuesday.

The judgment against Henry's Turkey Service of Goldthwaite, Texas, is the third for more than $1 million against the company after state authorities in 2009 shut down a dilapidated bunkhouse in rural Iowa where the men had lived since the 1970s.

The 32 employees had been paid $65 per month to work the processing line at a huge turkey plant in West Liberty after Henry's improperly deducted fees for room and board, care, transportation and other expenses out of their pay and Social Security checks, U.S. District Judge Charles Wolle ruled. The amount they were paid never changed during the 30 years they worked at the plant, regardless of whether they worked more than 40 hours per week, he found.

LOUISIANA

Police arrest suspectin bomb threat at LSU

BATON ROUGE — Police have arrested a suspect in the bomb threat that led to the evacuation of the LSU campus earlier this week but don't believe he is connected to recent threats made against three other universities.

LSU Police Capt. Corey Lalonde said officers arrested William Bouvay Jr., 42, of Baton Rouge late Tuesday night after an investigation by multiple law enforcement agencies.

Capt. Lalonde said Mr. Bouvay was not an LSU student and appeared to have no connection to the campus. He did not know what the suspect's motive might have been.

Investigators don't think Mr. Bouvay is connected to threats made last week at college campuses in Texas, North Dakota and Ohio.

Authorities said he will be charged with communicating false information of a planned bombing.

TEXAS

Slain woman's family sues over botched 911 response

DALLAS — The family of a Dallas woman found dead two days after she tried to call 911 during a deadly attack filed a civil-rights lawsuit against the city and local police Wednesday.

Deanna Cook called 911 on Aug. 17 to report that her ex-husband was assaulting her. Police have acknowledged the call was not logged correctly so the responding officers did not know it was an emergency. The two officers who went to Ms. Cook's south Dallas home received no response at the door and left without entering, police said.

Ms. Cook was found dead in her bathtub two days later after her relatives forced their way into the home. The ex-husband, Delvecchio Patrick, is charged with murder.

Police fired one call taker who told worried family members searching for Ms. Cook the day they found her to call the jail and local hospitals first. The call taker who received Ms. Cook's original call was suspended for 10 days. Police say they have also made changes to how calls are logged and announced they are hiring more call takers.

From wire dispatches and staff reports