- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
Gray takes D.C. rights lobbying to convention
Question of the Day
Mr. Gray said that despite the District’s objectives, he recognizes the goal of the convention is to promote Mr. Obama for a second term. He hopes another Obama term will prove more fruitful for the city’s self-determination than the first four years because the president will not have to focus on re-election and “the constraints of worrying about how he will be perceived for another term.”
Mr. Zherka said his group takes heart in the support Mr. Obama has shown for the District, such as promoting budget autonomy in his fiscal 2013 budget proposal. If a pro-District bill made it through Congress, Mr. Obama would “sign it and celebrate it,” he added.
But he acknowledged that the District’s plight for statehood is probably not on the top of Mr. Obama’s list when it comes to forging his legacy.
“A lot of people,” he said, “project their own desires on a president’s second term.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Contrasting judgments on Obama's health care hours apart; appeals court calls subsidies unlawful
- Insurers cough up refunds to subscribers under Obamacare ‘80-20 rule’
- New Democratic caucus will pressure GOP governors to expand Medicaid
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare enrollees faking for freebies
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq