- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Washington Monument fixes to be on hold for president’s trips
Question of the Day
Think a presidential motorcade slows traffic? Consider the effect Marine One flyovers could have on construction crews attempting to repair the Washington Monument on schedule.
Crews fixing the damage to the 555-foot monument caused by last year’s earthquake expect they will have to abandon their workspace atop scaffolding around the structure up to five times a week for as much as two hours at a stretch to comply with White House security measures, National Park Service officials said Wednesday.
“The people up there have these lines of sight that no on else has,” said Michael Morelli, project manager for the National Park Service Denver Service Center. “Anytime the president moves, we have to bring everyone off the scaffold.”
Notice to abandon the monument because of a presidential takeoff or landing could come with as little as 20 minutes’ warning, and crews are expected to start the 900-step descent to the ground regardless of what the workers are doing, which could be something time-sensitive such as mixing mortar.
“Obviously, any materials that end up getting lost — like mortar that dries and we’ve got to toss it out — will be replaced as well,” Mr. Morelli said. “There’s a price for this delay.”
That price, the project manager said, is factored into a $9.6 million work contract, which includes allocations for other security measures such as metal detectors for workers, bomb-sniffing dogs for building materials, and a 24/7 security detail provided by the U.S. Park Police. If delays occur, the company can invoice the cost against the allocations.
“This is post-9/11 now,” he said.
Park Service officials announced the awarding of the contract Wednesday to Perini Management Services Inc. of Framingham, Mass.
Robert Band, CEO of the company, a subsidiary of which led the construction of the Ronald Reagan Building & International Trade Center in the District, said the security measures are nothing new.
Mr. Band said the company is completing a contracted project at Andrews Air Force Base, the site of the Air Force One hangar.
“When the president’s aircraft is taxiing, there’s all kinds of protocol in terms of what has to be shut down and where people can be,” he said. “We’re used to that. We’re very skilled at dealing with that.”
Officials said work at the monument is expected to begin in 60 days and last as long as 18 months. Some of the first business will be to erect a fence around the monument’s perimeter and establish an access point and work site.
Mr. Morelli said an 8-foot-high fence will be placed along the walking path that encircles the base of the monument, but he expects “most areas will be accessible. We’re trying to make sure people can get around things.”
Where the public can’t go is the access point near the Sylvan Theater on the south side of the monument, which is reserved for a single point of entry for workers, vehicles and building supplies.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teen girl exorcised by priest, sends demonic text messages in response
- Obama nominates Rabbi David Saperstein as ambassador for religious freedom
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- No official word yet on Pope Francis visit: Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Higher Ground: War no deterrent
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world