With the Boston Marathon bombing suspects no longer threats to the American public, focus is turning quickly to how such an attack could have happened and whether the Chechen Muslim brothers had ties to al Qaeda or other global jihadist movements.
Republicans say the answer is yes, and many argued on the Sunday morning talk shows that the White House could lose valuable intelligence if it mishandles the suspect’s questioning or accedes to demands for attorneys or an invocation of a criminal defendant’s right to remain silent.
“The reason for it is there are so many questions unanswered, there are so many potential links to terrorism here,” said Rep. Peter T. King, New York Republican and chairman of the House Homeland Security subcommittee on counterterrorism and intelligence. He also laid out another reason why, in his mind, Mr. Tsarnaev deserves the label of enemy combatant.
“The battlefield is now in the United States,” he said.
Republican Sens. John McCain of Arizona, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire expressed similar sentiments over the weekend.
But the Obama administration has invoked a “public-safety exception” that will let federal law enforcement question the suspect for at least 48 hours before reading him his Miranda rights. After that, Mr. Tsarnaev presumably will be treated as a criminal suspect and put through the civilian justice system.
Democrats on Sunday lined up behind the White House’s rationale, consistent with its larger policy of dealing with terrorist suspects through the civilian court system in most cases.
“I don’t think we have to cross the line and say he should be an enemy combatant,” Sen. Charles E. Schumer, New York Democrat, said during an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union.” Sen. Dianne Feinstein, California Democrat, and others in her party expressed similar thoughts Sunday.
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, a Democrat, said he believes the administration will make the right decision on how to handle the suspect.
“I trust the attorney general to make that call,” Mr. Patrick said during an appearance on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”
Regardless, authorities probably have conducted little direct questioning because Mr. Tsarnaev is in serious condition at the intensive care unit of a Boston hospital and reportedly is unable to speak because of gunshot wounds to his neck.
The debate over what to do with the surviving bombing suspect is only half of the equation. Equal attention has been paid to 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev who was killed in a shootout Thursday night and how authorities, including the FBI, never picked up on his intentions.
There is now widespread speculation that he may have been trained by an Islamist terrorist organization in Chechnya, where he traveled for six months last year but apparently returned to the U.S. without raising much suspicion.
“I personally believe that this man received training when he was over there,” Rep. Michael T. McCaul, Texas Republican, said on “State of the Union.” Citing the pressure cooker bombs used in the attacks, he added, “You don’t learn that overnight.”