- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
South Africa’s Nelson Mandela on ‘deathbed,’ but still fighting
Mr. Mandela’s daughter, Makaziwe Mandela, told the South African Broadcasting Corp. that “Tata is still with us, strong, courageous. Even for a lack of a better word … on his ‘deathbed’ he is teaching us lessons — lessons in patience, in love, lessons of tolerance.”
She also said, The Associated Press reported: “Every moment I get with him, I’m amazed. There are times where I have to pinch myself that I come from this man who is a fighter, even though you can see he is struggling. But fighting spirit is still there with him.”
Mr. Mandela, 95, was admitted to a Pretoria hospital in June for treatment of a lagging lung infection.
He was discharged in September, but has been in poor health since. He’s been receiving medical attention at his home for months.
“He is still with us although he is not doing well in bed,” his grandson, Ndaba Mandela, said in the AP report.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
- Teen on deathbed awakens as family sings hymns
- Staples shuttering 225 stores by mid-2015
- Rutgers professors to Condi Rice: Go home, and take your speech with you
- Ohio kid, 10, suspended for forming finger like gun
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- MEANS: U.S. economy on schedule to crash March 4, 2014
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again