- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Give school choice back to parents, teachers
Question of the Day
No one who truly cares about education (as opposed to the politics of education) should shed a tear if the waivers granted by the Obama administration to 34 states and the District of Columbia expire with congressional reauthorization of the No Child Left Behind law.
The administration has abused the process of granting waivers from the law’s requirements by effectively rewriting the law — without benefit of statutory or constitutional authority to do so. Along with Race to the Top and the Common Core, it is all part of the Obama game plan for concentrating all power over schooling in Washington, specifically within the executive branch.
In dealing with No Child Left Behind, Congress should take power from the U.S. Department of Education and return it to parents, teachers and school boards at local levels. The megabillions of dollars devoted to giant bureaucracies would be much more effectively used as opportunity scholarships for families to have a fully free choice among schools that are not products of a federal cookie-cutter mold.
Senior fellow for education policy
The Heartland Institute
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
Get Breaking Alerts
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals