- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
Chicago teen fatally shot hours after sister sat onstage behind Obama
A Chicago teenager was fatally shot Friday night just hours after her younger sister sat onstage behind President Obama as he spoke about gun violence.
Two people are being questioned in the slaying of Janay McFarlane, according to North Chicago police.
Miss McFarlane, 18, was shot once around 11:30 p.m. in an alley after a bullet that was meant for her friend struck her in the head, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
"I really feel like somebody cut a part of my heart out," her mother, Angela Blakely, told the Sun-Times.
The young woman's little sister, Destini, 14, sat just feet away from the president as he spoke at Hyde Park Career Academy on Friday, just hours before her big sister was killed.
"Barack Obama said teenagers are killing each other," Destini told the Sun-Times on Saturday night. "He was saying we need to cut down on street violence."
Miss McFarlane's 3-month-old son, Jayden, is now without a mother, though Ms. Blakely said he has a big family to help care for him, the paper reports.
"I'm just really, truly just trying to process it — knowing that I'm not taking my baby home any more," Ms. Blakely said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- NYC's de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town's name during mudslide visit
- Richard Gere mistaken for homeless man, given bag of food
- Putin calls Internet 'CIA project' that must be controlled
- Paul Ryan to meet with black lawmakers after 'inner cities' flap
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014