- Motolotov cocktail thrown a Brooklyn mini-mart
- 3 Americans dead in shooting at Kabul hospital by Afghan guard
- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Shooters undeterred by threat of punishment
I sympathize with Felipe Fernandez's frustration with the gun control debate ("Solutions to mass killings: Capital punishment," Letters, Friday), but the sad fact is that the recent mass killings have been perpetrated by people who are mentally unstable, if not outright crazy.
To think, as Mr. Fernandez apparently does, that approving mandatory capital punishment would have deterred such individuals is seriously misguided. To the extent that the gun laws we have on the books do deter crime, it is because those laws come with severe punishments like incarceration and execution. That's one reason rational people don't commit gun-related crimes.
Mentally unbalanced people, however, have no such fear. Their thought processes don't make a connection between the actions they take and the legal consequences -- meaning our gun laws have little effect on them. Indeed, many of them end their killing sprees by killing themselves. In that sense, they are willingly sentencing themselves to capital punishment.
BRUCE G. KAUFFMANN
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions