- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Bomb, shooting in Egypt kills 2 police officers
- Tenn. woman receives two-year sentence for stealing $364K meant for homeless veterans
- School bus driver gets probation after kicking autistic girl, 8
MWR adds female CrossFit competitor to pit crew
DAYTONA BEACH, FLA. (AP) - Michael Waltrip Racing has a 5-foot-3, 115-pound dynamo in the pits.
And it’s not Mark Martin.
The team announced Wednesday it has hired professional CrossFit competitor Christmas Abbott as a full-time crewmember for its NASCAR Sprint Cup operation.
The 31-year-old Abbott will be a “weekend warrior,” traveling to all Cup events in a support role. Her long-term goal is to be a tire changer.
“This is just the first step for me,” said Abbott, who squats more than 200 pounds and has competed in several CrossFit competitions since 2006. “I’ve been training for several months. This is the most challenging thing I have ever done. I’m here to do whatever my coaches ask of me, and I don’t want any handouts. I’m ready to work three races a weekend if that’s what it takes to get me where I want to be. I’m in this for the long haul.”
Abbott, who has a gun tattooed on her hip to remind her of time she spent in Iraq, will be in Clint Bowyer’s pit for Sunday’s Daytona 500.
“This is another first for Michael Waltrip Racing,” co-owner Michael Waltrip said. “She is an incredible, elite athlete and she has worked with our crews by bringing some cross-fit elements to their workouts. She is a competitor, and when she decided to start working towards an over-the-wall position, we said we are the perfect place to make it happen.”
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Justice Dept.'s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- EDITORIAL: Voting with one's feet shows folly of liberal economic policies
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014