- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
MWR adds female CrossFit competitor to pit crew
DAYTONA BEACH, FLA. (AP) - Michael Waltrip Racing has a 5-foot-3, 115-pound dynamo in the pits.
And it’s not Mark Martin.
The team announced Wednesday it has hired professional CrossFit competitor Christmas Abbott as a full-time crewmember for its NASCAR Sprint Cup operation.
The 31-year-old Abbott will be a “weekend warrior,” traveling to all Cup events in a support role. Her long-term goal is to be a tire changer.
“This is just the first step for me,” said Abbott, who squats more than 200 pounds and has competed in several CrossFit competitions since 2006. “I’ve been training for several months. This is the most challenging thing I have ever done. I’m here to do whatever my coaches ask of me, and I don’t want any handouts. I’m ready to work three races a weekend if that’s what it takes to get me where I want to be. I’m in this for the long haul.”
Abbott, who has a gun tattooed on her hip to remind her of time she spent in Iraq, will be in Clint Bowyer’s pit for Sunday’s Daytona 500.
“This is another first for Michael Waltrip Racing,” co-owner Michael Waltrip said. “She is an incredible, elite athlete and she has worked with our crews by bringing some cross-fit elements to their workouts. She is a competitor, and when she decided to start working towards an over-the-wall position, we said we are the perfect place to make it happen.”
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.