- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
MWR adds female CrossFit competitor to pit crew
Question of the Day
DAYTONA BEACH, FLA. (AP) - Michael Waltrip Racing has a 5-foot-3, 115-pound dynamo in the pits.
And it's not Mark Martin.
The team announced Wednesday it has hired professional CrossFit competitor Christmas Abbott as a full-time crewmember for its NASCAR Sprint Cup operation.
The 31-year-old Abbott will be a "weekend warrior," traveling to all Cup events in a support role. Her long-term goal is to be a tire changer.
"This is just the first step for me," said Abbott, who squats more than 200 pounds and has competed in several CrossFit competitions since 2006. "I've been training for several months. This is the most challenging thing I have ever done. I'm here to do whatever my coaches ask of me, and I don't want any handouts. I'm ready to work three races a weekend if that's what it takes to get me where I want to be. I'm in this for the long haul."
Abbott, who has a gun tattooed on her hip to remind her of time she spent in Iraq, will be in Clint Bowyer's pit for Sunday's Daytona 500.
"This is another first for Michael Waltrip Racing," co-owner Michael Waltrip said. "She is an incredible, elite athlete and she has worked with our crews by bringing some cross-fit elements to their workouts. She is a competitor, and when she decided to start working towards an over-the-wall position, we said we are the perfect place to make it happen."
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Proving A Point: Redskins' Bacarri Rambo vows to make impact in second year
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world