- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation in South Korea
- Militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
Retired Army general: Call in the National Guard to handle Chicago’s violence
A retired Army lieutenant general proposed a solution for how to get Chicago’s gun violence under control — call in the National Guard.
Russel L. Honoré, who oversaw the military relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina, said during a news conference in Chicago that the situation should be handled in the same manner as a flood, tornado or other natural disaster.
“Let’s not let this be about pride,” Lt. Gen. Honoré said, according to the Chicago Tribune. “‘We are big ol’ Chicago, we are too proud, we can handle this.’ Maybe you can’t handle it.
“If you need help, get the federal government here. But let’s control the streets so children and elderly people can be in a safe community,” he said.
The Tribune reports that the city last year exceeded 500 homicides for the first time since 2008, a 16 percent jump from 2011. It also notes that January saw the most homicides for that month since 2002.
“Many people are going to say why are you bringing that to my community?” the general said. “[But] do you want law enforcement or do you want people shooting day and night and destroying the lives of innocent people?”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: 'I hope you die in prison'
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Elderly Chicago man robs bank to go 'home' to prison; judge fulfills his desire
- Attacks, rapes and forced conversions to Islam spike for Egypt's Christian women: report
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.