- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Redskins name meant to honor history
It would be helpful to understand why our great football team was named Redskins. The team came to Washington from Boston, a city known for its colonists’ resistance to the Stamp Act of 1765, the Townsend Act of 1767 and the Tea Act of 1773, demanded by King George III and the British Parliament.
The Boston colonists had had enough — they were being denied their rights as Englishmen. To show their opposition, a group of young colonists dressed as Indians and threw a delivery of tea from England into the harbor. This spurred the colonists to action against the Crown and resulted in the start of the Revolutionary War.
Our football team was named for these young men because the name stood for honor and bravery. No racial slur was ever intended. Washington kept the name and what it stands for. The cry of the colonists was “No taxation without representation.” What could be more appropriate for Washington today?
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- House votes for bargain to end budget drama
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- ICT trade mission to Azerbaijan successfully completed
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- CHELLANEY: China's game of chicken
- Inside China: Ukraine gets nuke umbrella
- EDITORIAL: The Potemkin website