- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Redskins name meant to honor history
Question of the Day
It would be helpful to understand why our great football team was named Redskins. The team came to Washington from Boston, a city known for its colonists’ resistance to the Stamp Act of 1765, the Townsend Act of 1767 and the Tea Act of 1773, demanded by King George III and the British Parliament.
The Boston colonists had had enough — they were being denied their rights as Englishmen. To show their opposition, a group of young colonists dressed as Indians and threw a delivery of tea from England into the harbor. This spurred the colonists to action against the Crown and resulted in the start of the Revolutionary War.
Our football team was named for these young men because the name stood for honor and bravery. No racial slur was ever intended. Washington kept the name and what it stands for. The cry of the colonists was “No taxation without representation.” What could be more appropriate for Washington today?
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of D.C.'s Citi Open
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis