- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation in South Korea
- Militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Redskins name meant to honor history
It would be helpful to understand why our great football team was named Redskins. The team came to Washington from Boston, a city known for its colonists’ resistance to the Stamp Act of 1765, the Townsend Act of 1767 and the Tea Act of 1773, demanded by King George III and the British Parliament.
The Boston colonists had had enough — they were being denied their rights as Englishmen. To show their opposition, a group of young colonists dressed as Indians and threw a delivery of tea from England into the harbor. This spurred the colonists to action against the Crown and resulted in the start of the Revolutionary War.
Our football team was named for these young men because the name stood for honor and bravery. No racial slur was ever intended. Washington kept the name and what it stands for. The cry of the colonists was “No taxation without representation.” What could be more appropriate for Washington today?
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?