- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Redskins name meant to honor history
Question of the Day
It would be helpful to understand why our great football team was named Redskins. The team came to Washington from Boston, a city known for its colonists' resistance to the Stamp Act of 1765, the Townsend Act of 1767 and the Tea Act of 1773, demanded by King George III and the British Parliament.
The Boston colonists had had enough -- they were being denied their rights as Englishmen. To show their opposition, a group of young colonists dressed as Indians and threw a delivery of tea from England into the harbor. This spurred the colonists to action against the Crown and resulted in the start of the Revolutionary War.
Our football team was named for these young men because the name stood for honor and bravery. No racial slur was ever intended. Washington kept the name and what it stands for. The cry of the colonists was "No taxation without representation." What could be more appropriate for Washington today?
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply