- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
- Former Reagan aide James Baker: President regretted apartheid veto
- Some donations to gay waitress who allegedly forged hate note refunded
- German President Joachim Gauck boycotting Sochi Olympics
Comedian Jim Carrey raises brows with anti-church tweet
Comedian Jim Carrey just can't quit the cracks. First, he puts down the Second Amendment. Then he disses the church and religion. And all this as his new movie, "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone," is due for release next month.
Taking to Twitter, the "Ace Ventura" funnyman wrote earlier this week: "I knew the sickness in the catholic church all stems from the denial of human sexuality. Gay or straight."
His comment came in the wake of Pope Benedict XVI's resignation and the uncertain fate of the Catholic Church and its leadership. Britain's most senior Catholic cardinal, Keith O'Brien, also recently resigned after four priests accused him of "inappropriate behavior" nearly 30 years ago.
It's at least the second tweet from Mr. Carrey to raise eyebrows this month. On Feb. 2, he tweeted "Any1 who would run out to buy an assault rifle after the Newtown massacre has very little left in their body or soul worth protecting."
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Arlington National Cemetery short on graveside wreaths
- Wendy's worker mistakenly serves burger with marijuana joint
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- John Kerry: Israel-Palestinian peace deal 'closer' than ever
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
Latest Blog Entries
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Sen. Rand Paul: Supreme Court needs to re-examine Fourth Amendment
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Sen. Richard Durbin: No line in the sand on unemployment benefits
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!