- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
Dow surges for a second day, closes in on record high
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks closed sharply higher Wednesday for a second day in a row as evidence mounts that the housing market is making a comeback.
The Dow Jones industrial average jumped 175 points to 14,075, its highest close of the year.
It’s up nearly 300 points in the past two days, putting it within 100 points of its record high, reached in October 2007.
Homebuilder stocks surged as more positive news about housing rolled in. Hovnanian soared 5 percent to $6.06, and Lennar rose 2 percent to $38.94.
A realty group said the number of Americans who signed contracts to buy homes jumped in January to the highest level in almost three years.
Three stocks rose for every one that fell on the New York Stock Exchange. Volume was low, at 3.4 billion shares.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- Outrage over Phil Robertson suspension, 'malignant' political correctness
- Sebelius adds another Obamacare exemption
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow