- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
Bangladesh erupts in violence after Islamist gets life in jail
Police opened fire on protesters Tuesday as violence erupted in cities in Bangladesh over a war crimes tribunal's sentencing of a key Islamist party leader to life in prison.
Abdul Quader Mollah, 64, was found guilty of murder, rape, torture and arson, Reuters reported. He committed the acts, according to Reuters, during Bangladesh's 1971 war with Pakistan.
Supporters of Mollah clashed with police shortly after the verdict was read. Police used gunfire and truncheons to help drive back the protesters in the city of Chittagong; one person was killed, according to Reuters. Meanwhile, others expressed dissatisfaction with the verdict as too lax.
Mollah's verdict is the second the court has issued in the past month related to the 1971 war. A month ago, a former Islamist party official was sentenced to death, and prosecutors expected more of the same for Mollah's punishment.
"We hare not happy with the verdict," said Mohammad Ali, a state prosecutor, according to Reuters. "We wanted his death and are surprised by the lesser punishment handed out by the tribunal."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.