- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
- New evidence could threaten Army sex assault case
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- GOP lawmaker faces fire for NBA crime tweet
- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
Menendez: Reimbursement of Caribbean flights ‘fell through the cracks’
In a CNN interview, the New Jersey Democrat said he paid for the flights on board the private plane of his friend and campaign donor, Dr. Salomon Melgen, “when it came to my attention” that he ought to, Roll Call reported.
“It unfortunately fell through the cracks,” Mr. Menendez said, in the Roll Call report. “I personally paid for them in order to meet my obligations. … When it came to may attention, I did what was right.”
The trips came to light after a New Jersey Republican complained to the Senate Ethics Committee, Roll Call reported. Mr. Menendez faces spotlight because Federal Bureau of Investigations agents raided Mr. Melgen’s Florida offices last week, and various media have questioned whether the senator used his congressional office to grant business favors to Mr. Melgen. Mr. Menendez is also fighting off allegations he engaged in sex with prostitutes during trips with Mr. Melgen — a charge his office has denounced as “smears,” Roll Call reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Taliban vow to 'use all force' to disrupt Afghan elections
- Sbarro pizza chain files second bankruptcy in three years
- Bishop in Aleppo: 'We Christians live in fear in Syria'
- Peter King on Rand Paul: He appeals to 'lowest common denominator'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Arrest made in Ohio bar shooting that killed 3
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Charges filed against accused 'shadow campaign' financier
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again