- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
SEAL sniper shooting suspect had 2 mental hospital stays
The suspect in jail for allegedly shooting to death American SEAL sniper Chris Kyle and his friend Chad Littlefield on Saturday has a past that includes two mental hospital stays, according to various media reports.
Eddie Ray Routh, a 25-year-old Iraq veteran, was taken twice to a mental hospital in the five months before Saturday's shootings, according to The Associated Press. He was first brought in for threatening to kill himself and his family in September, after police found him wandering the streets without shoes or shirt, AP reports.
In January, Mr. Routh was again brought to a mental hospital for observation, after a woman reportedly contacted police with concerns for his safety.
After Saturday's shooting, Newser reported, Mr. Routh drove to his sister's house in Mr. Kyle's truck and told her he "traded his soul for a new truck."
Mr. Routh is in jail on two charges of murder and one count of capital murder, according to Newser.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
- Teen on deathbed awakens as family sings hymns
- Staples shuttering 225 stores by mid-2015
- Rutgers professors to Condi Rice: Go home, and take your speech with you
- Ohio kid, 10, suspended for forming finger like gun
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on nonprofit hospital
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Obama goes from lame to laughable in just one week
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again