- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
- 68,000 more file for unemployment — in one week
- Michigan bans in-state insurers from covering abortion
- Nancy Pelosi tells Democrats to pass budget: ‘Embrace the suck’
- Key Obamacare official: Last two months much harder than anyone hoped
- Sen. Mike Lee: We must stop ‘the prez’ from acting like the queen
- George Bush consoles Alabama kicker Cade Foster: You will be stronger
- Megachurch pastor with ties to Obama commits suicide
Dempsey ‘surprised’ at Clinton’s Benghazi testimony
Question of the Day
Facing tough questioning from Sen. Lindsey Graham, Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, seemed confused to hear details of then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s recent testimony on Benghazi.
When Mr. Graham, South Carolina Republican, mentioned that Mrs. Clinton had not seen an Aug. 15 cable from the Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens that described a deteriorating security situation, Gen. Dempsey said he was “surprised.”
The exchange went as follows:
Mr. Graham: “When Secretary Clinton testified a few wee,ks ago that she had a clear-eyed assessment of the threat we faced in Libya, is that really a credible statement if she didn’t know about the ambassador’s cable on August 15, saying, ‘We can’t defend this place’?”
Gen. Dempsey: “Well, I didn’t know she didn’t know about the cable.”
Mr. Graham: “She said she didn’t.”
Gen. Dempsey: “I would call myself surprised that she didn’t.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- NPS: It would get ugly if we showed you the full debate on closing Mount Vernon
- Are Chinese shoving cigarette butts up nostrils to combat smog?
- Nativity regulations in Wales: Mary must wear safety helmet
- Hershey heist: Truck with $120,000 worth of chocolate stolen in Florida
- Slate: Replace 'white' Santa with a penguin to end nonwhite kids' shame
Latest Blog Entries
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
- Jay Carney likens inquiry on Sebelius' 'Obamacare' fundraising to birth certificate questions
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Inside the Ring: China targets Global Hawk drone
- Fake interpreter at Mandela service: 'Sorry,' I have schizophrenia
- Selfie at heart of Obama fiasco to stay secret
- Creator of 'Selfies at Funerals' blog retires after Obama flub: 'Our work here is done'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Classical music and the performing arts: news and reviews you can use.
Headlines from Associated Press and around the Internet
Positive propaganda for a nation in peril.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow