- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
The Hollywood Reporter’s best of the week
Question of the Day
The Hollywood Reporter’s list of its 10 best stories of the week:
JAY-Z‘S ANNIE REMAKE: MEET THE MAN WHO MADE IT HAPPEN
Broadway lyricist Martin Charnin owns the rights but “hated” both previous filmed versions.
Industry insiders can choose among charity galas, VIP affairs and the best performances _ like Justin Timberlake at the Palladium _ before and after the Feb. 10 awards.
THR NAMES MUSIC’S 35 TOP HITMAKERS
THR’S HITMAKER 2013: HOW PRODUCER MAX MARTIN SOLD 135 MILLION SONGS
JACK WHITE FRONTS THR’S 2ND ANNUAL MUSIC ISSUE
THR gets up close and personal with the quirky rock contrarian who won’t rehearse for the Grammys, reneged on “The Lone Ranger” and “loves to f–” with his haters.
WHY MUSIC BIOPICS ARE A NIGHTMARE TO MAKE
Hendrix, Joplin, Cobain: How a complicated tangle of rights is preventing their stories from being filmed.
TV PILOT SEASON: JOHN CUSACK, JASON CLARKE TOP NETWORK WISH LISTS
Rose Byrne is also in the mix as big names weigh potential series commitments.
WHY MALIBU IS NOT OK WITH THE CHEVY MALIBU
The mayor of L.A.’s tony coastal enclave tells THR: “We thought it was time to use our fame for the advantage of our residents.”
MELISSA McCARTHY SETS UP THREE NEW MOVIES
The actress and her partner, husband Ben Falcone, are developing projects at Universal and Fox and have launched a new company called On the Day.
WHY EVEN DVR WON’T SAVE `SMASH’ RATINGS (ANALYSIS)
The NBC drama would need an unprecedented surge (triple digits!) to salvage its catastrophic premiere.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- UHLER and FERRARA: Obamacare, the end of the progressive era
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow