- Obama hosting annual Easter Egg Roll
- Big Bang a big question for most Americans: Poll
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Supreme Court issues no ruling on case challenging N.J. gun law
- Sharyl Attkisson: Media Matters ‘clearly targeted me’
- Sherpas consider boycott after Everest avalanche
- Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch on Obamacare: ‘We will lose seats’ this November
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
Timeline of Te’o quotes in girlfriend hoax story
All-American linebacker Manti Te'o talked to, and about, someone posing as Lennay Kekua online and on the phone in late 2011 and 2012. After media were told Kekua died of leukemia last September, Te'o talked about her with reporters numerous times. This is a chronology of how the fake girlfriend story grew, based primarily on Te'o’s comments in social media and interviews.
May 13, 2012 _ From Te’o’s Twitter account: “Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.” Proverbs 31:10 (hash)LMK
July 23 _ From Te’o’s Twitter account: mteo_5 Manti Te’o Be strong. Be brave. Never give up. (hash)3words (at)LennayKay
Sept. 13 _ Asked by reporters, Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly says Te'o will play against Michigan State that Saturday despite the deaths that week of two people close to him. Media reports the next day identify the two as his grandmother and his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua. Public records confirm that his grandmother, Annette Santiago, died Sept. 11.
Sept. 15 _ Te'o has 12 tackles and breaks up two passes and the 20th-ranked Fighting Irish win 20-3 at No. 10 Michigan State. Te'o says afterward “I lost two women that I truly love” and that he had “my girlfriend’s family around me.”
Sept. 23 _ In a one-on-one interview with Sports Illustrated, Te'o talks at length about his relationship with Kekua and her many health issues, making only one vague reference to meeting her for the first time in California in 2009. “We met just, ummmm, just she knew my cousin. And kind of saw me there so. Just kind of regular.” He told SI they had been dating for a year. “Oct. 15 was the official date. Of last year. I’ve known her for four years. So we’ve been friends.” A transcript of the interview was posted Thursday.
Oct. 1 _ A Sports Illustrated cover story describes how Te'o received a call from Kekua’s older brother informing him of her death. Te'o says: “My girlfriend always told me, `Send roses while they can still smell them, tell people you love them while they can still hear.’”
Oct. 3 _ Te'o says at a media availability that during the walk-through before the Irish’s Sept. 22 game against Michigan, he asked what time it was and realized Kekua’s casket had been closed a minute earlier. He says she wanted him to skip her funeral to play. He had two interceptions in that 13-6 victory.
Oct. 12 _ From Te’o’s Twitter account: Today is October the 12th! A month ago my life changed dramatically! Thank you for all your love and support! Day by day! (hash)574L
Nov. 14 _ In an Associated Press story, Te'o says that “every morning I wake up and my girlfriend is not on the phone. It reminds me that she’s gone. That’s the hardest part.”
Dec. 8 _ South Bend television station WSBT shoots video of Te'o saying in a pre-Heisman interview in New York, “I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer.” That’s two days after the date given by Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick for when Te'o found out about the hoax.
Jan. 5 _ At the media day before the BCS title game, Te'o talks about his travails during the season, saying, “My team was always there for me, and my family was always there for me.”
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Jimmy Carter's grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.