- Sleet, ice, deepfreeze hit large swath of U.S.
- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Planned Parenthood abets sex trafficking
In his recent op-ed, "The truth about sex trafficking" (Web, Jan. 15), Virginia Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II says awareness is key to ending the brutal practice that tricks young girls ages 12 to 14 into prostitution. Mr. Cuccinelli quotes the figure of 300,000 children in the United States annually forced to prostitute themselves with no escape from their prisons.
He suggested we can help by offering our time and financial support to charities that aid these victims, by explaining to children how to protect themselves and by having medical personnel trained to recognize victims and report their plight to the police. Mr. Cuccinelli might also have suggested that President Obama stop financing Planned Parenthood with hundreds of millions of dollars -- even after the organization was caught by journalist Lila Rose abetting johns seeking abortions for young girls.
A second suggestion is to reinstate the grant to the Catholic Bishops' Migration and Refugee Services to continue helping sex-trafficking victims. Mr. Obama defunded the program because it would not refer victims for abortion. This despite the fact that the bishops were given excellent grades on their services to the sex-trafficking victims.
Mr. Obama, like the Tin Man in the "Wizard of Oz," needs to get a heart. He ought to show some compassion for these young girls and take steps to help them.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Snow storm sucker punch: U.S. hit by winter wave
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Dick Cheney: Family feud over gay marriage has been 'dealt with'
- Craigslist killers: Police say newlyweds stabbed man for thrills
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself