- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Citadel, Glenn Beck’s Independence, USA, PayPal’s Thiel lead right’s utopian experiments
Mr. Beck’s project is similarly conceptual.
The Citadel’s organizers claim on their website they already have purchased a small parcel of Idaho land and that as of last December more than 200 individuals and families have paid a partially refundable $208 application fee to reserve space for the project.
Given that III Arms — the startup firearms company intended to fund the community and provide employment to its members — reportedly has yet to build a factory and only registered with Idaho’s secretary of state in August, it’s unlikely that development will begin in earnest anytime soon.
“Much remains to be decided,” said a recent post on the Citadel’s blog. “The III Arms Company will provide the initial financial base to get started, but beyond that, those who move to the Citadel will need to bring work or income with them or have employment with a current business already arranged. We aren’t going to paint a rosy, unrealistic picture of what is needed. We aren’t in this to ‘sell’ something. We are in this to build the community we want to live in. It’s not going to be easy, and it’s not going to be simple.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Patrick Hruby is an award-winning journalist who holds degrees from Georgetown and Northwestern. He also contributes to ESPN.com and The Atlantic Online, and his work has been featured in The Best American Sports Writing. Follow him on Twitter (@patrick_hruby) and contact him at PatrickHruby.net.
- Taking to Twitter: Everybody's Oscar night in 140 characters
- Glenn Beck, Michelle Malkin cry foul at WWE Tea Party stereotypes
- Oscar Pistorius and the 'roid rage' defense: It's no Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card
- Spatial media: Astronaut Chris Hadfield live chats from 220 miles above earth
- Hero-worship for a cold-blooded killer: The cult of Christopher Dorner
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Yelp.com's ethics questioned
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.