- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
Accused Fort Hood shooter aims to escape death penalty
Maj. Nidal Hasan, the Army officer who is facing 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder for the 2009 Fort Hood shooting, now wants to avoid the death penalty, according to The Associated Press.
The strategy being used by his attorneys hinges on the argument that his rights were violated when a judge, Col. Gregory Gross, ordered him to shave his beard, the AP reports.
His attorneys say Maj. Hasan wants to plead guilty to the charges, which would open the door to a sentence of life without parole, but Army regulations prohibit judges from accepting guilty pleas in cases that involving the death penalty.
Col. Tara Osborn, the judge presiding over the long-delayed case, is set to consider the defense’s requests.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Christmas gift for coffee lovers: Starbucks $450 all-metal gift card
- Chris Matthews: GOP less patriotic than South African white apartheid leaders
- Wounded Warrior donation MIA from lesbian waitress of anti-gay tip story
- Jon Stewart, CIA superspy? Iranian TV creates new 'Zionist' conspiracy
- Paris Metro issues 'politeness manual' to improve passengers' behavior
Latest Blog Entries
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
- Jay Carney likens inquiry on Sebelius' 'Obamacare' fundraising to birth certificate questions
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Snow storm sucker punch: U.S. hit by winter wave
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- KEENE: Nelson Mandela's legacy
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
White House pets gone wild!