- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Accused Fort Hood shooter aims to escape death penalty
Question of the Day
Maj. Nidal Hasan, the Army officer who is facing 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder for the 2009 Fort Hood shooting, now wants to avoid the death penalty, according to The Associated Press.
The strategy being used by his attorneys hinges on the argument that his rights were violated when a judge, Col. Gregory Gross, ordered him to shave his beard, the AP reports.
His attorneys say Maj. Hasan wants to plead guilty to the charges, which would open the door to a sentence of life without parole, but Army regulations prohibit judges from accepting guilty pleas in cases that involving the death penalty.
Col. Tara Osborn, the judge presiding over the long-delayed case, is set to consider the defense's requests.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- German general assigned as U.S. Army Europe's new chief of staff
- A football fantasy: NFL players to wear chips that track every move in real time
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Bill Clinton audio surfaces from Sept. 10, 2001: 'I could have killed' Osama bin Laden
- U.S. doubting war on terror outcome: 27% of likely voters tell Rasmussen U.S. is winning
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: For too many gays, 'tolerance' is a one-way street
- PRUDEN: Cooling the manufactured impeachment panic
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Feds accept boredom, lack of work as excuses for surfing porn on clock
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world