- Mexico plans how to safely box up recovered cobalt
- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Eliminating state income tax aids economy
Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback’s proposal to eliminate the individual income tax is a strong step toward improving Kansas’ economic competitiveness and returning tax dollars to state residents and businesses (“State income taxes in peril,” Commentary, Thursday).
Income taxes are destructive, hurting economic growth by moving resources away from taxpayers and toward government. Production, innovation and risk-taking, the main factors producing economic growth, are discouraged when dollars are taken out of the hands of businesses and individuals through income taxes.
According to recent studies, states with no income tax have performed better economically and have seen greater job and population growth. States across the country have begun moving toward lowering or eliminating their income taxes in order to spur economic growth. Since 2007, 10 states have lowered their income tax rates, and several other states are considering similar changes this year.
Kansas legislators should strongly consider reforming the state’s individual income tax and expanding reform to corporate taxes, too. No other action by the government could have as positive an effect on Kansas’ business climate.
Senior policy analyst
The Heartland Institute
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- Allen West warns Obamas backdoor gun control is moving forward
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Susan Rice slams Russia, China on human rights
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- Inside the Ring: China targeting U.S. spy flights
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Obama: Growing income inequality 'defining challenge' of this generation