- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
SANDS: Carlsen steamrolls elite chess field in Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Question of the Day
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 e5 5. Nb5 d6 6. g3 h5 7. N1c3 a6 8. Na3 b5 9. Nd5 Nge7 10. Bg2 Bg4 11. f3 Be6 12. c3 h4 13. Nc2 Bxd5 14. exd5 Na5 15. f4 Nf5 16. g4 h3 17. Be4 Nh4 18. O-O g6 19. Kh1 Bg7 20. f5 gxf5 21. gxf5 Ng2 22. f6 Bf8 23. Qf3 Qc7 24. Nb4 Nb7 25. Nc6 Nc5 26. Bf5 Nd7 27. Bg5 Rg8 28. Qh5 Nb6 29. Be6 Rxg5 30. Qxg5 fxe6 31. dxe6 Black resigns.
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. Qb3 c6 5. Bg5 dxc4 6. Qxc4 Be6 7. Qb4 b5 8. Nb1 Ne4 9. Be3 Bd5 10. Qa3 e6 11. Qd3 Na6 12. f3 Nb4 13. Qd1 Bh6 14. Bxh6 Qh4+ 15. g3 Qxh6 16. Nh3 Qe3 17. Bg2 Nd6 18. Nc3 Bc4 19. Nf2 h5 20. Qd2 Nf5 21. Qxe3 Nxe3 22. Kd2 Nxg2 23. b3 Rd8 24. e3 e5 25. bxc4 exd4 26. exd4 Rxd4+ 27. Ke2 O-O 28. cxb5 Re8+ 29. Nfe4 f5 30. Kf2 fxe4 31. Nxe4 Rexe4 32. fxe4 Rd2+ 33. Kf3 Nd3 34. g4 Rf2+ 35. Kg3 h4+ White resigns.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Song soars with dramatic Cadet chess victory
- SANDS: Cadets battle as D.C. summer chess scene heats up
- SANDS: Winners take three paths to the top at the 42nd World Chess Open
- SANDS: Ortiz Suarez wins D.C., Smirin wins the World
- SANDS: Fourth time a charm as Troff captures U.S. junior chess title
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Out of "the shadows," they demand citizenship without consequences
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors