Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton remains open to testifying before Congress about security failures in the Sept. 11 terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that killed U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
“She has said that she is open to going up to the Hill,” State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said Wednesday, adding that department officials were working with lawmakers this week to determine when Mrs. Clinton may appear.
“We are working with them now on their schedule, because there’s also a question of when they are going to be in,” Mrs. Nuland said.
Mrs. Clinton was discharged Wednesday from New York-Presbyterian Hospital, where she had been since Sunday receiving treatment for a blood clot inside her skull.
Doctors have said that the clot did not result in a stroke or neurological damage and that they expect Mrs. Clinton to recover fully.
Mrs. Clinton was slated to testify on Capitol Hill in late December after the release of an internal State Department report on the Benghazi attack concluded that senior department officials ignored intelligence and security warnings that might have prevented the attack.
She canceled the testimony after dehydration from a stomach virus caused her to faint and hit her head, which subsequently led to the blood clot.
Mrs. Clinton has accepted blame for failures surrounding the Benghazi attack, but the report prompted several Republican lawmakers to demand that she reschedule her testimony and answer more questions.
Four State Department officials were relieved of their duties after the internal report was released.