- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Gerard Depardieu: French actor, in tax fight, gets Russian citizenship
The Kremlin statement gave no information on why Mr. Putin made the citizenship grant, but the Russian president expressed sympathy with the actor in December, days after Mr. Depardieu reportedly said he was considering Russian citizenship.
“As we say, artists are easily offended, and therefore I understand the feelings of Mr. Depardieu,” Mr. Putin said.
Although France and Russia disagree sharply about how to resolve the civil war in Syria, the two countries have strong commercial relations. In 2011, Russia signed a contract worth more than 1 billion euros ($1.33 billion) Friday to buy two French warships — the largest military deal between a NATO country and Moscow.
Mr. Depardieu is well known in Russia, where he appears in an ad for Sovietsky Bank’s credit card and is prominently featured on the bank’s home page.
Mr. Depardieu is not the only high-profile Frenchman to object to the supertax. Bernard Arnault, chief of the luxury goods and fashion giant LVMH who is worth an estimated $41 billion, also has said he would leave for Belgium.
France’s Civil Code says one must have another nationality in order to give up French citizenship because it is forbidden to be stateless. Thursday’s decision by the Kremlin appears to fulfill that requirement.
• Lori Hinnant reported from Paris. Silvie Corbet in Paris contributed to this article.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.