- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
- Louisiana group hits back at Sen. Mary Landrieu campaign ad with ‘Actress Mary’ spot
Benghazi suspect’s release spurs calls to punish Tunisia
Lack of evidence cited by judge
A Tunisian judge’s decision to release the only man arrested in connection with the Sept. 11 terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, has angered congressional Republicans, with one lawmaker demanding that the U.S. cut off millions of dollars in aid to newly democratic Tunisia.
Ali Harzi, 26, of Tunisia, was released Monday due to a lack of evidence against him, his lawyer said. His release dealt a blow to a slow-paced investigation into the attack that killed U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, State Department official Sean Smith and former Navy SEALS Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty.
“For months following the attack, the Tunisian government blocked the FBI from interviewing Harzi,” said Mr. Wolf, Virginia Republican. “Now they allow the guy, who has been involved in killing four Americans, to walk the streets of Tunisia.”
Noting that the U.S. has provided $320 million in aid to Tunisia since 2011, Mr. Wolf said: “I find it morally wrong to support a country that has obstructed FBI efforts to bring these terrorists to justice.”
“The fact that this suspect linked to the Benghazi attack has been released is troubling on many fronts,” Mrs. Ros-Lehtinen told The Washington Times.
“It has been nearly four months since the attack on the United States diplomatic mission in Benghazi, and we have yet to hold any person or persons accountable for this atrocious act of terror perpetrated against the United States,” she said. “It raises further concerns over the ability and willingness of the Tunisian and Libyan governments to contribute to the investigation and assist U.S. agencies leading the effort to find those responsible and bring them to justice.”
Mr. Harzi’s lawyer, Anwar Oued-Ali, said his client had been “conditionally freed” and described the release as “correcting an irregular situation” because authorities never had any real evidence, The Associated Press reported. Mr. Harzi must remain in the greater Tunis area in case he is needed by the court.
“The FBI continues to pursue all investigative leads into the deaths of the four Americans who were killed in Benghazi on Tuesday, September 11, 2012,” Kathleen Wright, the FBI spokeswoman, said in response to a question on the status of the investigation.
Libyan sources have identified Ahmed Abu Khattala, a Benghazi-based Islamist, as having led the attack on the consulate.
Mr. Abu Khattala, who has acknowledged being at the consulate at the time of the attack, has not been arrested. He has been linked to Ansar al-Shariah, an Islamist group that U.S. intelligence officials suspect was behind the attack.
Mr. Abu Khattala escaped an assassination attempt Sunday, when a bomb exploded as two men tried to plant it under his car in Benghazi. One of the would-be assassins was killed in the blast.
The investigation into the consulate attack has made little headway because of Libya’s weak central government and militias that have taken the law into their own hands.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Ashish Kumar Sen is a reporter covering foreign policy and international developments for The Washington Times.
Prior to joining The Times, Mr. Sen worked for publications in Asia and the Middle East. His work has appeared in a number of publications and online news sites including the British Broadcasting Corp., Asia Times Online and Outlook magazine.
- Amid clashes, White House nixes 'lethal' Ukraine aid
- U.S. rebukes Iran's U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- U.S. missing out on big opportunities in Africa, Liberian official says
- House follows Senate in passing bill to bar Iran's U.N. pick
- Obama admin unfairly pitting China against North Korea: diplomat
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- PETA officials collide with deer
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.