- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Rough commute: Ferry slams dock, injures about 30 to 50
As many as 50 commuters from New Jersey were injured — at least one critically — when a ferry slammed into a dock near Wall Street in lower Manhattan.
The Seastreak ferry from suburban Atlantic Highlands, N.J. rammed into the dock at Pier 11 around 8:45 a.m., with one side of the catamaran's hull ripped open, the Associated Press reported.
One passenger is in critical condition, multiple news outlets reported. News cameras captured emergency personnel swarming the terminal, assessing injuries to 30 to 50 people.
The dock is located where the East River meets New York Harbor — right next to the helipad used by President Obama and other VIPs arriving by helicopter in Manhattan.
It's proximity to Wall Street makes the Seastreak a popular commuting options from bucolic Atlantic Highlands. The ferry runs year-round, and costs $26 one-way for the 45 minute trip.
Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- 2 soldiers shot at Navy base in Tenn.; recruiter in custody
- Lee Rigby, 25, identified as British soldier killed in London machete attack
- White House hits Redskins coach Mike Shanahan for playing injured RG3
- Rough commute: Ferry slams dock, injures about 30 to 50
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear C.I.A. caught flat-footed
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Wal-Mart forced to apologize for 'mistake' favoring English-speaking shoppers
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes