- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Rough commute: Ferry slams dock, injures about 30 to 50
As many as 50 commuters from New Jersey were injured — at least one critically — when a ferry slammed into a dock near Wall Street in lower Manhattan.
The Seastreak ferry from suburban Atlantic Highlands, N.J. rammed into the dock at Pier 11 around 8:45 a.m., with one side of the catamaran's hull ripped open, the Associated Press reported.
One passenger is in critical condition, multiple news outlets reported. News cameras captured emergency personnel swarming the terminal, assessing injuries to 30 to 50 people.
The dock is located where the East River meets New York Harbor — right next to the helipad used by President Obama and other VIPs arriving by helicopter in Manhattan.
It's proximity to Wall Street makes the Seastreak a popular commuting options from bucolic Atlantic Highlands. The ferry runs year-round, and costs $26 one-way for the 45 minute trip.
Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- 2 soldiers shot at Navy base in Tenn.; recruiter in custody
- Lee Rigby, 25, identified as British soldier killed in London machete attack
- White House hits Redskins coach Mike Shanahan for playing injured RG3
- Rough commute: Ferry slams dock, injures about 30 to 50
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Obama engages in Ukraine diplomacy from Fla. resort as Russia digs in
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- EDITORIAL: Senate rejects Adegbile for Justice post
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again