- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- African leader cancels trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag when Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Iran’s Rouhani: Israel, Islamic State are ‘tumors derived from the same origin’
- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
MILLER: Rand Paul demands answers on U.S. gunrunning in Benghazi
Question of the Day
Sen. Rand Paul suspects the U.S. was secretly running guns through the consulate in Benghazi to arm Syrian rebels. The Kentucky Republican said the Obama administration must provide answers about whether firearms trafficking through Libya was related to the terrorist attack that killed four Americans, including Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens.
“We need to ask a lot of people in the administration, including Susan Rice, Hillary Clinton and others: Were we shipping arms to Turkey? And, was that why the ambassador was there in Benghazi? And why the CIA annex was there?” Mr. Paul said Sunday in an interview with Shannon Bream of Fox News.
President Obama recently named Mrs. Rice as his new National Security Adviser.
He added that, “I had a conversation with another congressman today who said that he asked someone within the leadership of Congress whether or not arms were being exchanged in Benghazi, and the response he got was, ‘That was classified.’”
Mr. Paul concluded that, “When someone tells me that — that’s not a denial — that’s saying that, ‘I’m not going to talk about that.’ To me, that almost sounds like yes.” The State Department did not respond to request for comment.
“When I asked Hillary Clinton that question in the committee hearing, she never said, ‘No we weren’t involved with transferring guns out of Libya,’” he told Fox News. “She just said, ‘Oh I can’t imagine. That’s not under my — that would be the CIA. We would have to ask them.’ But she acted like she’d never heard of the question.”
“It’s been in news reports that ships have been leaving from Libya, and that they may have weapons,” Mr. Paul continued. “The annex that was close by — were they involved with procuring, buying, selling, obtaining weapons, and were any of these weapons being transferred to other countries, any countries, Turkey included?”
“Well, Senator, you’ll have to direct that question to the agency that ran the annex. And I will — I will see what information is available and …” Mrs. Clinton replied.
“You’re saying you don’t know,” Mr. Paul offered.
“I do not know. I don’t have any information on that,” she answered.
The ongoing congressional investigation into the Benghazi scandal has taken a toll on Hillary Clinton, who was secretary of state at the time of the September 2012 attack. A Gallup poll out Monday show Mrs. Clinton now has her lowest favorability rating since 2008.
The House Oversight Committee’s hearings with whistleblowers giving shocking testimony on the administration not protecting Americans in Benghazi has affected the public’s view of the likely 2016 presidential candidate. Mrs. Clinton’s positive rating fell from 64 percent in April to 58 percent in June, while her unfavorable rating rose from 31 to 39 percent.
The Obama administration needs to come clean about whether or not it has been arming Syrian rebels and what, if any, role that played in the death of our ambassador to Libya. Mr. Paul should continue to demand accountability for any arms trafficking.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Exclusive - Mark Witaschek takes the stand in D.C. shotgun shell trial
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens