- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
MILLER: Rand Paul demands answers on U.S. gunrunning in Benghazi
Sen. Rand Paul suspects the U.S. was secretly running guns through the consulate in Benghazi to arm Syrian rebels. The Kentucky Republican said the Obama administration must provide answers about whether firearms trafficking through Libya was related to the terrorist attack that killed four Americans, including Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens.
“We need to ask a lot of people in the administration, including Susan Rice, Hillary Clinton and others: Were we shipping arms to Turkey? And, was that why the ambassador was there in Benghazi? And why the CIA annex was there?” Mr. Paul said Sunday in an interview with Shannon Bream of Fox News.
President Obama recently named Mrs. Rice as his new National Security Adviser.
He added that, “I had a conversation with another congressman today who said that he asked someone within the leadership of Congress whether or not arms were being exchanged in Benghazi, and the response he got was, ‘That was classified.’”
Mr. Paul concluded that, “When someone tells me that — that’s not a denial — that’s saying that, ‘I’m not going to talk about that.’ To me, that almost sounds like yes.” The State Department did not respond to request for comment.
“When I asked Hillary Clinton that question in the committee hearing, she never said, ‘No we weren’t involved with transferring guns out of Libya,’” he told Fox News. “She just said, ‘Oh I can’t imagine. That’s not under my — that would be the CIA. We would have to ask them.’ But she acted like she’d never heard of the question.”
“It’s been in news reports that ships have been leaving from Libya, and that they may have weapons,” Mr. Paul continued. “The annex that was close by — were they involved with procuring, buying, selling, obtaining weapons, and were any of these weapons being transferred to other countries, any countries, Turkey included?”
“Well, Senator, you’ll have to direct that question to the agency that ran the annex. And I will — I will see what information is available and …” Mrs. Clinton replied.
“You’re saying you don’t know,” Mr. Paul offered.
“I do not know. I don’t have any information on that,” she answered.
The ongoing congressional investigation into the Benghazi scandal has taken a toll on Hillary Clinton, who was secretary of state at the time of the September 2012 attack. A Gallup poll out Monday show Mrs. Clinton now has her lowest favorability rating since 2008.
The House Oversight Committee’s hearings with whistleblowers giving shocking testimony on the administration not protecting Americans in Benghazi has affected the public’s view of the likely 2016 presidential candidate. Mrs. Clinton’s positive rating fell from 64 percent in April to 58 percent in June, while her unfavorable rating rose from 31 to 39 percent.
The Obama administration needs to come clean about whether or not it has been arming Syrian rebels and what, if any, role that played in the death of our ambassador to Libya. Mr. Paul should continue to demand accountability for any arms trafficking.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: CPAC debates Tea Party or moderate for 2016 Republican presidential candidate
- MILLER: Huge majorities on East Coast support national gun registry
- MILLER: NRA to score Senate vote on Obama’s nominee for surgeon general, Vivec Murthy
- MILLER: New Jersey bill is outright gun ban on .22-caliber rifles and leads to confiscation
- MILLER: California attorney general tries to overturn gun carry ruling in 9th Circuit
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Get Breaking Alerts
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on nonprofit hospital
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Obama goes from lame to laughable in just one week
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's flawed Mideast 'peace' plan
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Foreign policy would distract Obama from social hour
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Hit Putin where it hurts over Ukraine