- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Iran commander: Syria conflict will end when Israel falls
He also spoke of the civil unrest in Turkey — the four weeks of protests that started over a rally against a park development and escalated into violent clashes with police about the government — and said the United States was largely to blame. Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan should never have worked so closely with Washington, D.C., and other Western allies, he said.
“What is happening in Turkey is a lesson for those who say that we should turn to the West,” he said. “Today, the Turkish government has reached a point that the streets in Turkey are the scene of conflicts every day due to the propaganda of the western media, and [Erdogan] is complaining about BBC and CNN. This is the result of interaction with the U.S.”
The anti-government protests have spread to nearly 80 cities in Turkey. Fars reported that six of the dozens who were injured are in critical condition, and 11 have lost their eyesight during clashes with police.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Darrell Issa pressed by Black Caucus to say sorry to Elijah Cummings
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
- Teen on deathbed awakens as family sings hymns
- Staples shuttering 225 stores by mid-2015
- Rutgers professors to Condi Rice: Go home, and take your speech with you
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on nonprofit hospital
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Obama goes from lame to laughable in just one week
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again