- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
Pentagon planning for defense cuts made worse by Beltway politics
Automatic defense budget cuts for fiscal year 2013 will be over on November 1st, Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said Wednesday, but added that “no one knows what comes next here in Washington.”
In the coming weeks, defense officials will be examining how the Pentagon can manage through fiscal year 2014 if the defense budget is held to levels other than the president’s proposed 2014 budget, and brief the results to the Senate Armed Services Committee on July 1st, Mr. Carter said at a conference in Washington.
With defense cuts of $500 billion over the next decade still in force under the Budget Control Act, Mr. Carter said the department was planning for several contingencies under its “strategic choices and management review,” which Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will be internally briefed on within the next week.
The Pentagon will use the results of the review to formulate budgets at several levels for fiscal year 2015 and beyond, Mr. Carter said.
The first level would be at the president’s proposal for fiscal year 2014, which defense officials “believe is the right level to meet today’s complex national security threats and to achieve further reductions in defense spending totaling $150 billion over 10 years,” he said.
“This is the responsible way to cut, because the cuts would ramp up over those 10 years, giving us time to plan and adjust,” he said.
The second level would be at the “worst case scenario” under full sequestration, where $52 billion would be cut from the budget next year, and a total of $500 billion over the next 10 years, he said.
A third level would be between the president’s budget and full sequestration, he said.
He called the effects of the automatic defense budget cuts so far in 2013 “not only regrettable and embarrassing, but disruptive,” citing grounded Air Force squadrons, canceled Army training exercises, and furloughed civilian workers.
“Perhaps the most concerning is that sequestration is painting an uncertain picture of the United States in the eyes of friends and foes alike that could be dangerously out of proportion,” he said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kristina Wong is a national security reporter for The Washington Times, covering defense, foreign policy and intelligence affairs. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Despite Pentagon cuts and eye on Pacific, Air Force implored to save the 'Warthog'
- Pentagon welcomes budget deal but says more defense spending needed
- Rep. Hunter to Pentagon: Don't lower combat standards for women
- Scientists raise alarm over plan to destroy Syria's chemical weapons at sea
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.