- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Topic - Ashton Carter
Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton Carter has submitted his resignation, effective Dec. 4, the Pentagon announced Thursday.
Automatic defense budget cuts for fiscal year 2013 will be over on November 1st, Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said Wednesday, but added that "no one knows what comes next here in Washington."
Leaders here and in Washington offered cautionary responses Tuesday to North Korea’s latest threat that “thermonuclear war” is imminent, as Japan announced deployment of ballistic-missile interceptors to key locations around Tokyo in preparation for a possible test or attack launch by Pyongyang.
The "umbrella" of the U.S. nuclear deterrent and missile defense remains firmly in place over America's allies in Asia in the face of recent threats from North Korea, U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter said Monday.
Fat and obnoxious though he may be, Kim Jong-un, like his father and grandfather, is no slouch at blinksmanship. The point of the high-stakes game is to see who blinks first. Did America just blink?
United States B-52 bombers carried out simulated nuclear bombing raids on North Korea as part of ongoing U.S.-South Korean military exercises, Pentagon officials said on Monday.
Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton Carter will make a two-day visit to Seoul this weekend to discuss escalating tensions on the Korean Peninsula, amid reports that the Pentagon is increasing U.S. missile defenses in the wake of nuclear threats from North Korea.
On the eve of automatic budget cuts, new Pentagon chief Chuck Hagel tried to warn against the damage of the cuts, but at the same time reassure the Pentagon's workforce that a consensus would be reached to avert them.
The Navy is denying speculation that it has delayed the deployment of the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman to the Middle East in order to create "drama" over defense spending cuts.
Hundreds of Pentagon-related employers large and small are preparing to lay off thousands of employees as Congress takes a recess this week, so far unable to agree on how to undo automatic military spending cuts set to begin March 1.
Civilian workers in the Defense Department are bracing themselves for layoffs and furloughs that could cost them a chunk of their paychecks with the automatic spending cuts set to begin March 1.
President Obama has asserted that most of the 66,000 U.S. forces currently in Afghanistan will leave by the end of 2014, but there's one thing that is slowing the process up: illiteracy.
The Pentagon has started laying off the bulk of its 46,000 temporary work force, as automatic Defense Department budget cut-backs beckon in March.
Warning of an increasingly intractable budget crisis, the Pentagon’s No. 2 official has ordered military chiefs to begin making drastic spending cuts ranging from freezing civilian hiring and eliminating all temporary jobs to canceling ship maintenance, the Washington Guardian has learned.
Warning of an increasingly intractable budget crisis, the Pentagon's No. 2 official has ordered military chiefs to begin making drastic spending cuts ranging from civilian hiring freezes and the elimination of all temporary jobs to the canceling of ship and aircraft maintenance contracts.
A third level would be between the president's budget and full sequestration, he said.
The first level would be at the president's proposal for fiscal year 2014, which defense officials "believe is the right level to meet today's complex national security threats and to achieve further reductions in defense spending totaling $150 billion over 10 years," he said.