- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Genderless society a meaningless society
In his classic book "Sexual Suicide," the great American intellectual George Guilder wrote that when a society plays with the essence of what we are as male and female, we play with fire and will be burned. This week the Massachusetts State Department of Education stoked the fire well with its pages of new regulations honoring the civilization-eroding idea that children may declare that they are male, female, other or no gender ("Mass. moves on 'unisex' restrooms for transgender students," Web, Feb. 21).
Our children in Massachusetts are being told by the left that an elementary-school-age boy can essentially state that he "feels" that he is a girl -- and by doing so, be granted vast rights by the state. He has the right to dress as a girl, change his name to a girl's name while at school, use the girls' bathroom and locker room and on top of this foolishness, the school is banned from alerting his parents. The state becomes the parent. It is part of the statist dogma of the left.
At its core, leftism is the most robust religion in the Western world today, replete with dogma, ritual and powerful ideology. One key idea of leftism is that traditional distinctions of Western civilization are wrong and need to be destroyed. National distinctions need to be replaced by the United Nations, and we are to be citizens of the world. Religious distinction must be replaced with the quasi-religions of secularism, feminism, environmentalism and statism. Moral distinctions are wrong. Distinction between man and animal is passe.
Among the many and most important leftist attacks on distinction is the war on male-female difference. The dogma is that there is no essential difference between man and woman. Clear sexual distinction is merely a social construct that must be fought. In fact, Harvard University just hired a dean of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender activity who declines to identify as a male or female.
When the left is finished deconstructing thousands of years of civilization, what are we left with? A human being with no distinction, no country, no religion, no moral absolutes and now no identity as man or woman, boy or girl, father or mother. We are left as sexless living beings in a Godless, uncaring universe. It is profoundly destructive.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Get Breaking Alerts
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- EDITORIAL: Senate rejects Adegbile for Justice post
- 'Blarney Blowout' near UMass results in 73 arrests; 4 officers injured
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Gates: Obama strategy won't stop Putin
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults