- Family removed from Southwest flight over tweet about rude agent, dad says
- Michael Bloomberg thumbs FAA ban, plots course to Israel
- California bans full-contact football practices in off-season
- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
- Chambliss: Downed jet ultimately goes back to Putin
- Perdue strategy: Run against Reid, Obama, Pelosi
- White House: More changes to contraception mandate coming
- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
Bipartisan proposal would add Hispanic museum to Mall
Question of the Day
A bipartisan group of lawmakers Thursday proposed adding an American Latino museum to the Mall, saying it’s time to recognize the growing public role and power of the Hispanic population in the U.S.
The bill would designate the Smithsonian’s Arts and Industries Building — the red, original Smithsonian building known colloquially in Washington as “the castle” — as the site of the new museum.
The museum would have to be built through private funds.
“Through the years, our numbers have grown as well as our significance to the story of America,” said Sen. Robert Menendez, the New Jersey Democrat who is chief sponsor of the legislation. “A Museum of the American Latino would officially acknowledge our great history in the United States, and educate visitors about how the success of this country could not have been accomplished without the achievements of Hispanic Americans.”
He was joined in sponsoring the bill by Sen. Marco Rubio, Florida Republican, Sen. Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, Rep. Xavier Becerra, California Democrat, and Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Florida Republican.
“This will be an enduring monument as much to the people who have found opportunity and refuge in America as it is a tribute to our exceptional country that has always welcomed people and helped them realize their dreams like no other place in human history,” Mr. Rubio said.
A National Museum of African American History and Culture is already being built on the Mall and the National Museum of the American Indian has been added to the Mall within the past decade as well.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lois Lerner emails reveal gaping open-records loophole
- Two-thirds of illegal immigrant children approved for asylum: report
- Top Justice official denies conspiring with IRS on tea party targeting
- Boehner: No bill on border surge
- Taking Obama to court a long shot but lawsuit not folly, Congress is told
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq