- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Bipartisan proposal would add Hispanic museum to Mall
A bipartisan group of lawmakers Thursday proposed adding an American Latino museum to the Mall, saying it's time to recognize the growing public role and power of the Hispanic population in the U.S.
The bill would designate the Smithsonian's Arts and Industries Building — the red, original Smithsonian building known colloquially in Washington as "the castle" — as the site of the new museum.
The museum would have to be built through private funds.
"Through the years, our numbers have grown as well as our significance to the story of America," said Sen. Robert Menendez, the New Jersey Democrat who is chief sponsor of the legislation. "A Museum of the American Latino would officially acknowledge our great history in the United States, and educate visitors about how the success of this country could not have been accomplished without the achievements of Hispanic Americans."
He was joined in sponsoring the bill by Sen. Marco Rubio, Florida Republican, Sen. Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, Rep. Xavier Becerra, California Democrat, and Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Florida Republican.
"This will be an enduring monument as much to the people who have found opportunity and refuge in America as it is a tribute to our exceptional country that has always welcomed people and helped them realize their dreams like no other place in human history," Mr. Rubio said.
A National Museum of African American History and Culture is already being built on the Mall and the National Museum of the American Indian has been added to the Mall within the past decade as well.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at email@example.com.
- CPAC 2014: Poll shows GOP discontent, Congress frustration
- U.S. has lost track of tens of thousands of foreign students who came study to then took jobs
- Border Patrol Chief: Agents can still shoot at rock throwers
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Border Patrol policy still permits agents to shoot at rock-throwers
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Senate Democrats lift the carbon-dioxide level with a hot-air stunt
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Depth, distance reduce impact of California quake
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- New faces finding ways to win on the PGA Tour
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Prosecutors: Gray had firsthand knowledge of 'shadow campaign'
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again