The CIA cannot refuse to respond to Freedom of Information Act requests about its program using remotely piloted drone aircraft to kill terror suspects now that officials have publicly acknowledged it, a federal appeals court ruled Friday.
Given the public statements by officials from President Obama on down, “it is neither logical nor plausible for the CIA to maintain that it would reveal anything not already in the public domain” by admitting that it had records or documents about the program, reads the unanimous ruling of a three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit Appeals Court.
The ruling effectively re-opens a three-year-old lawsuit brought by the ACLU against the agency, seeking disclosure of 10 categories of documents about the controversial program — which has killed hundreds of people in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia, including three Americans and an unknown and bitterly disputed number of civilians.
A lower court summarily dismissed the case in September 2011, but Friday’s judgment sends it back there for further action.
“This is an important victory. It requires the government to retire the absurd claim that the CIA’s interest in the targeted killing program is a secret,” said ACLU Deputy Legal Director Jameel Jaffer in a statement.
The ACLU first filed the Freedom of Information Act request with the CIA in January 2010, seeking the disclosure of records the agency had “pertaining to the use of unmanned aerial vehicles (‘UAVs’) — commonly referred to as ‘drones’ … — by the CIA and the Armed Forces for the purpose of killing targeted individuals.”
The CIA blocked the request with a so-called “Glomar response,” refusing either to confirm or deny the existence of any relevant records.
The response is named for a case in which the CIA declined to confirm or deny whether it had documents relating to Howard Hughes’ ship, the Glomar Explorer.
Friday’s ruling would also make it more difficult for the Obama administration to continue ducking questions about the program’s scope and legal basis, said Mr. Jaffer, who argued the case before the three-judge panel last September.
But the terrain on which the ongoing legal battle will be waged may be shifting.
During his nomination process, newly minted CIA Director John O. Brennan made it known that he believed the drone killing program would be better conducted by the U.S. military — arguing that this would facilitate greater transparency from the Obama administration about the issue.
But this week, Defense News reported that U.S. Central Command, which runs the U.S. war effort in Afghanistan, will no longer release figures for its own program of lethal drone strikes.
The command previously had released the number of drone strikes each month as part of a regular report on the use of airpower in the Afghan theater.View Entire Story
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Shaun Waterman is an award-winning reporter for The Washington Times, covering foreign affairs, defense and cybersecurity. He was a senior editor and correspondent for United Press International for nearly a decade, and has covered the Department of Homeland Security since 2003. His reporting on the Sept. 11 Commission and the tortuous process by which some of its recommendations finally became ...
By Jay Sekulow
The left's outrage over the IRS turns to a plea to 'move on'
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
News and opinion from a Millennial Urbanite with Southern sensibilities,
Politics and pop culture from the perspective of an independent hip-hop conservative
Positive propaganda for a nation in peril.
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
World's Ugliest Dog Contest
Spelling Bee finale
Marines train Afghan soldiers
Rolling Thunder 2013
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal