- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
‘The Bible’ tops ‘American Idol’ in Nielsen ratings
Question of the Day
NEW YORK - In the latest television ratings, the Bible is hot and aspiring pop stars are not.
The History network’s first installment of the miniseries “The Bible” aired twice Sunday, for a total audience of 14.8 million people — topping both of last week’s episodes of “American Idol.”
“The Bible,” produced by the husband-and-wife team of “Survivor” creator Mark Burnett and actress Roma Downey (“Touched By an Angel”), will air in four more installments concluding March 31, Easter Sunday.
“The Bible” appears to be a hit along the lines of History’s “Hatfields & McCoys” miniseries last spring.
Mostly due to curiosity about the series, History’s website had its most visited day ever on Sunday, said Nancy Dubuc, president of entertainment and media for the A&E networks.
“Clearly, the passion for this project has resonated with our viewers and across the nation,” Ms. Dubuc said. “We are thrilled, and the story is only just beginning.”
Meanwhile, both of last week’s episodes of “American Idol” had the smallest audiences — 13.3 million viewers on on Wednesday, 12.6 million Thursday — since the series joined Fox’s regular schedule more than a decade ago, the Nielsen company said.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- RAHN: When money mischief goes global
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq