- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
‘The Bible’ tops ‘American Idol’ in Nielsen ratings
NEW YORK - In the latest television ratings, the Bible is hot and aspiring pop stars are not.
The History network’s first installment of the miniseries “The Bible” aired twice Sunday, for a total audience of 14.8 million people — topping both of last week’s episodes of “American Idol.”
“The Bible,” produced by the husband-and-wife team of “Survivor” creator Mark Burnett and actress Roma Downey (“Touched By an Angel”), will air in four more installments concluding March 31, Easter Sunday.
“The Bible” appears to be a hit along the lines of History’s “Hatfields & McCoys” miniseries last spring.
Mostly due to curiosity about the series, History’s website had its most visited day ever on Sunday, said Nancy Dubuc, president of entertainment and media for the A&E networks.
“Clearly, the passion for this project has resonated with our viewers and across the nation,” Ms. Dubuc said. “We are thrilled, and the story is only just beginning.”
Meanwhile, both of last week’s episodes of “American Idol” had the smallest audiences — 13.3 million viewers on on Wednesday, 12.6 million Thursday — since the series joined Fox’s regular schedule more than a decade ago, the Nielsen company said.
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.