- President Obama poised to grant clemency to nonviolent drug offenders: report
- Teen OK after riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- Kraft recalls 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer hot dogs over cheese error
- Boy Scouts boots church as host after gay leadership dispute
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s new book raises 2016 presidential speculation
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Rep. Marsha Blackburn: Hillary Clinton won’t be first female president
- French president accuses Syria’s Assad of gassing his own citizens
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson makes gains in governor’s race in Georgia
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
Lucasfilm rushed to Obama’s defense after ‘mind-meld’ flap
President Obama's "friends at Lucasfilm" rushed to the president's defense after his recent "Jedi mind-meld" flap.
The geekdom exploded Friday after Obama said he didn't have the power to "somehow do a Jedi mind meld with these folks and convince them to do what's right" on reaching a deal to avoid sequestration. He had confused the Jedi mind trick with the Vulcan mind meld.
But a spokeswoman for Star Wars' studio Lucasfilm has eagerly rushed to his defense, saying no one is giving him enough credit.
"President Obama might have created a mash-up of Star Wars friends at Lucasfilm and Star Trek but he also might be a lot more savvy with his knowledge of Star Wars than anyone is giving him credit for," Lynne Hale said in a statement. "In some of the Star Wars spin-off books there is a 'Force Meld.' ... "All of President Obama's friends at Lucasfilm would love to believe that his expertise in Star Wars knowledge runs deep..."
The creator of Star Wars and founder of Lucasfilm, George Lucas, was a major Obama donor in past election bids.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Discovery Channel cancels Mount Everest jump after avalanche kills 13
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Malaysia Airlines flight makes emergency landing in Kuala Lumpur
- 7-year-old twin boys fight off carjacker with toy snake
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Building a D.C. memorial for an endless war bumps into regulations
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- No rush: Bob Goodlatte waits for heads to cool on heated legislation
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.