“No matter how bad I was playing, I should have stayed out there,” he said. “I should have tried to shoot the best score possible even though it probably wasn’t going to be good enough to make the cut. At that point in time, I was just all over the place. I saw red … and it was a mistake and everyone makes mistakes and I’m learning from them. I guess for me, some people have the pleasure of making mistakes in private. Most of my mistakes are in the public eye.
“I regret what I did.”
The good news for McIlroy is that he is assured of playing all four rounds at Doral, where there is no cut. McIlroy is scheduled to play this week and at the Houston Open at the end of the month before going to the Masters. He did not indicate that he would add another tournament despite having played only 80 holes this year.
And while he walked off the golf course last week, McIlroy said he worked for 10 hours at The Bear’s Club on Saturday, and almost as much on Sunday. He practiced Monday before going to Seminole for a club event. He said he realized his swing was not the same as it was last year, and the frustration comes from not being able to fix it.
“You just have to get to the root of the problem _ no pun intended,” he said. “I know if I can get my takeaway fixed, the rest of the swing will follow. I’ve worked my (tail) off over the last four or five days to really try and get this right. Still, it’s a work in progress. As I said, there’s no quick fixes in golf but I’m going to go out there this week and all I care about is my swing. And I know if I can get my swing back on track that the results will follow.”
McIlroy will play the opening two rounds of this World Golf Championship with Tiger Woods and Luke Donald, a group featuring the top three players in the world. They figure to command all the attention around the Blue Monster.
McIlroy isn’t concerned his walkoff will cost him fans.
“Everyone makes mistakes,” he said. “I’m 23 years old. I’m still learning.”