- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare funds aborting Down syndrome
One of the provisions in Obamacare championed by the disability community is coverage for pre-existing conditions. This is definitely a positive mandate, and many incredible advocates have fought to ensure that individuals with disabilities are fully included in our society. As an advocate and the father of a beautiful daughter with Down syndrome, I have made it my mission to make sure people see what a priceless blessing children like my Chloe are.
After Chloe’s birth, I became aware of the 90-percent-plus abortion rate for children diagnosed prenatally with Down syndrome, which is largely the result of the fact that many people still view these individuals as “defective.” Obamacare provides funding for abortion, the procedure being used to terminate the majority of children with Down syndrome. The reality many disability advocates fail to address is that only 10 percent or less of children who survive from prenatal to postnatal, pre-existing Down syndrome can access health care coverage. Why should the disability community be excited about health coverage that funds the instrument being used to terminate 90 percent of individuals diagnosed with a prenatal, pre-existing condition they claim to champion?
Very rapid advances in genetic testing will lead to more prenatal conditions being diagnosed. Will our “inclusive” and “tolerant” culture allow these individuals to be targeted and eliminated by health care coverage that supposedly was crafted to protect them?
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt