- Michigan man among first in U.S. to get ‘bionic eye’
- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
- Sen. Boozman of Arkansas has emergency heart surgery
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport security
- Supreme Court to decide if passports can say ‘Jerusalem, Israel’
Legalizing illegal immigrants is the solution to Obamacare: Democrat
Rep. Jared Polis said Friday the key problem with health care right now is that illegal immigrants aren't included in Obamacare, and said part of the solution is to pass a bill granting them citizenship rights.
The House is debating a GOP-written bill that would allow Americans to keep their health plans that have been canceled under Obamacare, but Mr. Polis, a Colorado Democrat, said the chamber should instead be looking at ways to make sure everyone in the country is covered by the Affordable Care Act — including illegal immigrants.
"American citizens are essentially being forced to pay for the health care costs of people who are here illegally every day, until we pass comprehensive immigration reform," he said. "We're wondering why rates are going up. … It's no surprise. When somebody doesn't have insurance, their costs are shifted onto other people that do."
Illegal immigrants are one of the few categories of people in the U.S. who aren't subjected to Obamacare's individual mandate requiring all people to have health insurance coverage. They also aren't eligible for taxpayer subsidies to buy insurance on the health exchanges, nor are they supposed to be getting assistance under Medicaid.
But Mr. Polis said leaving them outside of the health mandate means that they end up using emergency care, but don't end up paying their own bills — leaving the rest of the country to pick up those costs.
He said the solution is to pass House Democrats' bill, which would grant a long-term pathway to citizenship for most illegal immigrants. The legislation is known by its bill number, House Res. 15
"If we can pass HR, 15 people who are here illegally will have to get insurance on their own instead of forcing Americans to pay for their insurance," Mr. Polis said.
His comments come two days after House Speaker John A. Boehner ruled out taking up a broad bill such as the one Democrats wrote. Mr.Boehner said the House will operate on its own timeline and won't even enter into negotiations with Senate Democrats on their broad legalization bill.
The issue of how to handle illegal immigrants and health care has dogged both the health debate and the immigration debate.
Indeed, a bipartisan group trying to negotiate a broad immigration bill in the House failed in part because the lawmakers involved couldn't agree on how to handle health care costs associated with illegal immigrants who would be granted legal status.
The Congressional Budget Office said that passing the Senate's version of the immigration bill, which would legalize illegal immigrants and expand legal immigration by granting millions of new green cards, would end up costing $82.3 billion over the next decade in higherObamacare subsidies.
But those would mostly be going to new legal immigrants. Illegal immigrants wouldn't be eligible for Obamacare until after they gain green cards, which would come in a decade.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at email@example.com.
- No comment on petition to deport Bieber
- Red-state Democrats blast latest Keystone delay
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador's visa, but says law is 'advisory'
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, renegade
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- ORTEL: Putin sees opportunities as Obama turns away
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
- Michelle Obama: Obama family Sundays are more for napping than church
- Bonuses given to IRS employes who owed back taxes
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.