- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Secret Service arrests man for tossing firecrackers at White House
The firecracker incident prompted rumors of another shooting in a city where security has been noticeably tightened, but the fears were unfounded.
The man was immediately arrested, and bystanders in the area reported hearing sirens responding to the incident.
The Associated Press reports the man was barefoot when he was arrested, with white shoes laying nearby.
He was described as “white, with dark hair, a blue shirt and white shorts.”
A former federal law enforcement officer told The Washington Times it’s not uncommon for rumors of more shootings to start after an attack has happened.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Phillip Swarts is an investigative reporter for The Washington Times, covering fiscal waste, fraud and political ethics. He is a graduate of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University and previously worked as an investigative reporter for the Washington Guardian. Phillip can be reached at email@example.com.
- Report: Old courthouses need $760M in repairs
- IG: Postal Service jettisoned valuable equipment
- Golden Hammer: IRS missing out on late-fee payday, inspector says
- Homeland Security at risk of computer breach
- Golden Hammer: Autism research gets federal aid not once, but twice
Latest Blog Entries
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
Richard Ivory, editor-in-chief of Hip Hop Republicans and HHR at Communities Digital News, turns his interests, and pen, to the people making news today.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow