- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
China to U.S.: Don’t go into Syria with force
Question of the Day
China weighed in Monday on the possibility of the United States taking military action in Syria with this quick message: Don’t.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said that Washington officials had briefed Beijing heads on the situation, and that while China was most concerned about the use of chemical weapons, the nation wanted the United States to wait for international support. The U.S. should not act alone, he said, The Associated Press reported.
Any U.S. action must conform to the dictates of the U.N. Charter, Mr. Hong said.
Meanwhile, China — along with Russia — has already made clear its objections at the U.N. Security Council to any international action that topples Syria President Bashar Assad’s government.
China’s statement comes as President Obama has put on hold for at least a week any decision on U.S. action in Syria. The United States reports that the latest death count from chemical weapons unleashed by Mr. Assad’s forces on rebel fighters near Damascus is 1,429 — and most are civilians, AP reported.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Obama to commute sentences for 8 crack dealers, users due to 'unfair system'
- China hackers breach Washington Post website
- Methodist Church defrocks pastor who performed gay marriage
- Dennis Rodman lands in North Korea, and propagandists prepare
- White House plots new Obamacare PR path: Go for the heartstrings
Latest Blog Entries
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- KELLNER: It's not a Merry Christmas for the persecuted church
- PRUDEN: 'Tis the season for apologies
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- ORSI: No greater act of loyalty to the Constitution
- TRIPLETT: Shale revolution reality checks
- Obama sends 45 service members to South Sudan
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow