- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
Allen West thanks CAIR for inclusion in top ten worst Islamophobes list
Question of the Day
Former congressman Allen West blasted the Council on American–Islamic Relations on his social media outlets Tuesday morning by thanking CAIR for including him in their “2011-2012 Worst List Inductees” for his “intentional efforts to spread fear and prejudice.”
“CAIR obviously fears those who confront them w/ the truth. I’m on their top ten “worst” list. Appreciate the honor,” the Florida Republican tweeted to his 192,000 followers, linking to a new 2013 CAIR report, titled “Legislating Fear: Islamophobia and its impact int he United States.”
In the CAIR report, Mr. West is listed as someone who was at the center of pushing Islamophobia in America.
“West claims that Islam is not a religion and that Muslims are a ‘fifth column’ in America. West has asserted that Islam is ‘a totalitarian theocratic political ideology, it is not a religion.’ He also called Islam a ‘very vile and very vicious enemy that we have allowed to come in this country,’” the report reads.
Mr. West formally thanked the organization for the “honor” on his Facebook page Tuesday.
“Recently the Council for American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) bestowed upon me a great honor, they listed me in the top ten of individuals and organizations they fear,” he wrote. “CAIR is an unindicted co-conspirator in the largest terrorism financing case in America, the Holy Land Foundation trial.”
“I have yet to hear or see CAIR on any TV, radio, or newspaper op-ed pages explaining the recent vicious attacks by Muslims against Christians in Pakistan and against innocent shoppers in Nairobi,” the former congressman continued. “To be forced to recite a koranic verse or die is simply barbaric. To conduct a targeted attack against Christians departing from church services is savage, not just in Pakistan, but in Nigeria, Egypt, Syria, and all across countries with Muslim governance (or lack of it).”
“In 2011, former Rep. Allen West (R-FL) hosted the group on Capitol Hill where they offered a conspiracy-theory laden presentation to warn Americans about ‘fifth column’ Muslims who it said are pulling the strings of mainstream Muslim organizations and trying to take over the United States,” the group said.
But Mr. West isn’t backing down.
“If saying so makes me an ‘Islamophobe’ so be it,” he said. “It just confirms that CAIR, and their ilk, fear those who will relentlessly confront them with the truth. Lastly, to those who have the ‘COEXIST’ bumper stickers on their vehicles, read Solomon’s Proverb 17:28…you may may want to scrape it off.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Andrew Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Alec Baldwin refuses to apologize for berating cops: 'I’d rather pay the fine'
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
- Washington Post reporter, 2 other Americans detained in Iran
- Browns fan records himself urinating on grave of former Ravens owner Art Modell
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is 'torture'
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq